how can we help? 844-4-SPENCE

news & results

fighting for people header

Breaking News: Carbon Monoxide CO Poisoning Kills 1 Seriously Injures Others at MI Hotel

A child was found dead earlier today and several others were seriously injured after being poisoned by carbon monoxide (CO) at a Quality Inn & Suites in Niles, Michigan.  Local Niles police and Berrien County sheriffs and fire officials responded to the scene.  Preliminary reports suggest that lethally high levels of poisonous carbon monoxide gas were found in the pool area–reports indicate that at least 11 were treated at nearby hospitals.  The Spence Law Firm trial lawyers are looking for more information on this incident and the apparently dangerous hotel and pool heating system.

The Niles Police Department identified the deceased as 13-year-old from Niles.  Six other children were taken to Memorial South Bend Hospital in Indiana, police said.  They include five children found unconscious at the Quality Inn & Suites hotel pool. Their ages range from 12 to 14 years old, Niles police said.  Another child, who police said had just left the pool area, was found unresponsive in a first-floor room.  Two others treated for carbon monoxide-related exposure included a Niles police officer and Berrien County deputy.  At this time it is unknown whether others inside the hotel may have also been injured.

Niles Fire Department Captain Don Wise suggested that the incident may be the result of a faulty heater.  ”The ventilation system on the heater had issues, the exhaust was not functioning properly.”  ”The hotel is shut down now until repairs are made.”

It is uncertain whether the hotel had taken steps to reasonably maintain or service the pool heater, or whether carbon monoxide CO detectors or alarms were available to warn the guests of the danger that poisoned them.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless and tasteless gas that can kill, or cause serious injuries including permanent brain injury for victims that are exposed.

The Spence Law Firm works across the country investigating and representing families and victims of carbon monoxide poisoning incidents exactly like the incident today.  We are currently litigating and investigating CO poisoning cases in numerous states across the country, including incidents of poisoning in hotel pools.  If you or someone you know was affected by the carbon monoxide incident at the Quality Inn Hotel, it is important to contact a CO poisoning lawyer with experience to protect your rights.  If you have questions or information about this incident, or if you recently stayed at the Quality Inn & Suites hotel in Niles and may have been exposed  or have questions about your rights, our experienced CO attorneys are available now to answer questions and provide information.



Questions? Interested in exploring your legal rights?
Contact us or call 800-967-2117

The Spence Law Firm, LLC
Toll Free: 800-967-2117

JACKSON OFFICE
PO Box 548 • 15 South Jackson Street
Jackson, Wyoming 83001
Phone: 307-733-7290
Fax: 307-733-5248

CASPER OFFICE
232 E. 2nd St., Suite 101
Casper, WY 82601
Phone: 307-337-3833
Copyright © 2012 The Spence Law Firm.LLC   Disclaimer
'; '; '; '; '; '; '; '; '; ';