Faulty Boiler Fills LDS Meetinghouse in Utah With Carbon Monoxide, 60 People Poisoned

Last Sunday 60 people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after being exposed at a meetinghouse of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Provo, UT. The cause of this poisoning incident is still under investigation but early reports indicate the incident may have been due to a faulty boiler. The building was also not equipped with a CO detector. Many of the victims, most of whom are young women, reported feeling sick after being in the building and some received hyperbaric treatment at the hospital to ease their breathing issues brought on by the poisoning.

Carbon monoxide or CO is an odorless, colorless gas found in combustion fumes that can cause extreme sickness or even death in a short period of time after exposure. While you should be aware of this in your own home, we recommend having a carbon monoxide detector, you should also be aware that carbon monoxide exposure is common in large public buildings and commercial settings including apartment buildings, hotels, schools, churches, and other areas many would never anticipate being in potential danger of poisoning.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure generally manifest as:

  • Headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness

If you or someone you know may have been exposed to carbon monoxide gas, in the recent Provo incident, it is important to consult immediately with health care providers. It is also important in some cases to preserve any legal rights you may have to be compensated for any short-term or permanent injuries you might suffer as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. You could be entitled to compensation for being exposed to this dangerous gas and to long-term symptoms and injuries. Unfortunately some, but not all carbon monoxide poisoning victims, suffer permanent damage as a result of the poison.

The Spence Law Firm has worked on dozens of CO poisoning cases and collected tens of millions of dollars for victims, including recent carbon monoxide poisoning settlements for $2 million, $1.5 million, $5.5 million and $11 million in separate CO poisoning cases.

For example, in 2018 we settled a CO poisoning case for a father and son for $2 million. The family was poisoned inside their home due to improper ventilation of the furnace.

In 2013, we obtained a record $28.2 million verdict for a young woman who suffered acute carbon monoxide poisoning and a permanent brain injury inside her apartment from an unmaintained and dangerous 32-year-old furnace. We sued the property manager and owner/landlord of the property who knew the furnaces at the apartment complex were dangerous.

Contact Us Today

If you would like specifics on these cases or to view more, please click here. Our team has the proven skills in cases of carbon monoxide poisoning and can assist you in seeking the compensation you are owed for damages caused by this dangerous gas.

If you or anyone you know would like to discuss a case involving carbon monoxide poisoning, please contact us at infointake@spencelawyers.com or call today at (844) 447-5497.

Categories:

We only do one thing -

Fight for people

- and we do it well.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Tell Us About Your Case