5 Signs You Need a Lawyer After a Trucking Accident
Dec 05, 2022
If you've been in a trucking accident, then you probably need a lawyer. A lawyer is necessary in most situations to protect yourself. A lot of issues arise after a trucking accident that aren't part of other types of car accidents. An attorney can help you with insurance company communications and take legal action if necessary. Read on to find out more about when you need a lawyer and how a lawyer can help you.
What Role Does a Truck Accident Lawyer Play in a Trucking Accident?
Getting compensation for medical bills or time off work when you've been in a trucking accident, however, can be more complex than other types of accidents. The best truck accident lawyer can do the following:
- Investigate the cause of the accident. To investigate, a lawyer will begin by speaking with you. The lawyer may then order accident reports, including from the police, as well as request any internal accident reports from the trucking company. The lawyer may collect witness statements. The lawyer may also look into maintenance records for the truck and the truck driver's prior driving record. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, the investigation may involve further steps, such as retaining an expert to analyze the accident or examine the truck.
- Communicate with the parties. Communications with the other parties can be tricky. People without legal expertise may unintentionally give up some of their rights or mistakenly admit to fault, and they may not know all of their options. Figuring out who you need to speak to and how to contact that person may take a lot of time, and there may be lengthy, difficult conversations. An experienced truck accident lawyer knows how to navigate these communications efficiently while preserving your rights.
- Identify the parties responsible. Truck drivers often do not have sufficient financial resources to fully compensate victims of truck accidents. However, commercial drivers, such as drivers of delivery trucks, are often employed by truck companies, and those companies can be held liable for a truck driver's negligence. Even if the truck driver was an independent contractor, there may be third parties who should be held liable, such as the company that loaded the truck or performed the maintenance on the truck. If the accident resulted from a defect in the truck, then the truck manufacturer should be held liable. And all of these responsible parties likely have their own insurance companies. A semi truck accident lawyer with an understanding of the trucking industry and experience with truck accidents can help determine who may be liable so that you are fully compensated.
Determine your case's worth. A truck accident lawyer can help you determine how much your case may be worth, which may include payment for medical bills, time off from work, out-of-pocket expenses, property damage, pain and suffering, and mental anguish, among other things, depending on your state's laws and the circumstances of your accident.
Negotiate settlements. Not all truck accident claims need to end up in court. A much less expensive and faster solution may include the negotiation of a settlement with one or more insurance companies. A truck accident lawyer can help you reach a good settlement without having to go through the time and expense of a trial.
Initiate legal action. Sometimes a fair settlement cannot be reached, so legal action is necessary. If you do need to file legal action, then you need a truck accident lawyer near you who has experience with truck accident cases.
Top 5 Signs You Need a Truck Accident Lawyer
Now that you know what a truck accident lawyer can do for you, how do you know when you actually need one? Here is a list of the top five signs that you need a truck accident lawyer.
1. Experienced a Loss of Income
If you have lost income because of your accident, then that means that your accident was serious enough to require you to miss work. You need a truck accident lawyer to help you recoup your lost income.
2. Suffered Severe Injuries, Physical Pain, or Required Medical Attention
You need a truck accident lawyer if you suffered anything beyond a minor injury, such as:
- Head injury
- Broken bones
- Lacerations requiring stitches
- Neck injury
- Back injury
- Recurrent physical pain
- Catastrophic injury
Even if you don't see your injury on this list, if you required medical attention of any kind following your accident, you should contact a truck accident lawyer.
3. Experienced Mechanical Failure on Commercial Vehicles From the Truck Manufacturer
If the cause of your trucking accident was a mechanical failure, then you need a truck accident lawyer to find out more. If the mechanical failure was caused by the manufacturer of commercial trucks, then your case will involve a products liability claim likely against a very large corporation. Products liability claims against large companies are complex and difficult, and you need an attorney who has specialized knowledge to ensure your claim is handled well.
4. Obtained Damage of Property
If your property was damaged because of the truck accident, then a truck accident lawyer can help you get compensated for your damage. Most commonly, the property damage in a truck accident is to your own vehicle, but other, expensive property within your vehicle may have been damaged, such as laptop computers or other electronics.
5. Dealt With Mental Anguish
Truck accidents can leave lasting emotional distress. From the fear and shock from the initial accident to distress caused by injuries and time off work, many truck accident victims experience mental anguish. You may be entitled to compensation if you've experienced mental anguish due to a truck accident, you need a truck accident lawyer.
Ready To Hire an Experienced Truck Accident Lawyer?
If any of these signs apply to you, then you're probably asking, "Where can I find a truck accident lawyer near me?" Because there are time limits involved with truck accidents, you should contact the Spence Law Firm to talk to a local, experienced truck accident lawyer today.
Meet with us.
If you are struggling with a serious injury, or are fighting against seemingly impossible odds against big corporations, insurance companies or the government, call us to speak with our team of trial lawyers who will fight for you. We take no fee unless we earn it by winning your case.